Saturday, 12 December 2009

What Makes a Reader Choose YOUR Book?

Did you know that only 25% of readers come into a library knowing what they are looking for? The other 75% come in to browse, and will choose something on impulse. The proportions are similar if you look at people’s behaviour in high street bookshops.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that the average length of a visit to the library is a mere FIVE MINUTES. Taking into account the fact that a number of people will come into the library for longer periods, to study or to use the internet, this means that many library visits may be no more than two minutes long. You only have a very short time to grab your reader’s attention.

So how do people make that snap decision to buy/borrow a book?

Read the full article by Catriona Troth in the next issue of Words with JAM


  1. And more bad news - Borders is closing :-( It had a great coffee shop!

  2. Nobody cares about the best essay writing service reason why you have a poor credit score as the main thing that matters is your current 500 dollar loan direct lender financial situation.